April 20, 2011

Youth Voices: Juma Kawesi On How His Fellow Youth, Kawera Enoch Introduced Him to AGYA

My name is Kawesi Juma. I am a 19 year old b-boy and I do breakdancing at AGYA. Last year, I was a Youth Leader in charge of the Free Lunch Program. Right now, I am the Assistant Facilitator of the b-boy class.

Above: A short clip of Juma practicing his dance moves


Before i joined the organization, I wasn't the Juma you are seeing or hearing now. I was too stubborn, shy and i never wanted to associate with my fellow youths. I wasn't caring about others. I never thought about the next step of my life because I was a kind of a youth who used to think that tomorrow I might be in jail because the peers i used to be with were illiterate and we always struggled for something to eat. But always a friend in need is a friend in deed. This friend I am talking about is none other than Kawera Enoch. He had joined AGYA before me. One day, he approached me and told me about the aims of the organization and i really felt so touched. I asked him how it benefits and he told me that it benefits nothing because its a non profitable organization. I told him that I would think about it.

Two days later, I came with Kawera at AGYA and i was registered with the organization. After that time until today, I do not regret the day i met Kawera because he introduced me to AGYA, the organization which changed my life.

Above: Juma (left) with fellow youth dancer Jepheth Mutuuza (right).

THIS POST GOES OUT TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY DON'T HAVE MERITS TO THEIR LIVES. SPECIAL THANKS TO THE AGYA CO-FOUNDERS ABRAHAM AND DIVINITY MATOVU WHO ACCEPTED THERE DREAMS AND MADE THEM TRUE.

LONG LIVE AGYA.