March 19, 2011

Youth Voices: Bboys Kawera and Derrick Write About AGYA's Impact in Their Lives

My name is Ssembajjwe Derrick Blusarino, I am 19 years old and I would like to share with you something about Talent. Before I discovered that I could be a bboy, I used to involve myself in a lot of negative stuff just like any other youth living in the ghetto. I had no hope for the future because I didn’t even ever take time to think about it. I lived a very wasteful life style and associated myself with negative people.

I am glad to write that today I realized my true self when I joined AGYA in 2009. A friend introduced me to AGYA and ever since the first day I came to AGYA, I have witnessed a lot of positive change within me.

(above: Derrick performing a dance routine at the Annual Hip-Hop For Society Event)

The way I used to see things has changed, I have learnt to appreciate, associate and share. AGYA has been my turning point in life because I have transitioned from that rebellious ghetto boy into a responsible and respectful young man. Through AGYA I have improved my talent and dancing skills. 

I even teach other youth who come to practice dance at AGYA. I feel my dancing career is being uplifted and I can now determine a bright future because I know it’s there for me if I continue to work hard and develop my talent.

Through dance I have been linked to big dance projects like Break-dance Project Uganda (BPU), Dance Together Uganda (DTU)), Sixstel International Foundation and Kyuka Youth Outreach. I have showcased on different platforms including Hip-Hop For Society organized by BPU, Hip-hop Expo organized by AGYA, Dance Week Uganda and Jump Youth Explosion among others.

All thanks go to the AGYA board, Divinity & Abraham Matovu for all the support they put in the struggle of developing young people through shaping their careers. I personally have been provided a platform where I have been able to express myself creatively in a very positive manner.

I AM PROUD TO BE ABLE TO LIVE MY DREAM OF HAVING A SUCCESSFUL DANCING CAREER. I JUST WANT TO ENCOURAGE ALL YOUNG PEOPLE LIVING IN THE GHETTOES TO STAY POSITIVE AND HAVE HOPE.

I LOVE YOU ALL.


My name is Kawera Enock SSekandi; I am 19 years old and I am a bboy. I joined AGYA in 2009 and it’s where I started my dance career. Before I joined AGYA, I used to spend my time with useless groups, I associated myself with street fights and clubbing. I thought that was the best way to live my life. I realized this kind of life was leading me nowhere when some of my friends were arrested over drugs. I decided to  look for a better thing I could do to keep myself away from wasteful, time-consuming activities.

(Above: Kawera (right) working on editing film footage of a dance performance with another AGYA member)

The path of my life changed when a friend told me about AGYA. AGYA is a place where I have learnt leadership skills, dance skills among others. I was appointed as a youth leader at AGYA in 2010, and I will remember that opportunity for all my life time because it was the most educative part of my youth.

My advice to fellow youth is that they should be patient, yearn for knowledge and take chances when they come. Dreams come true if you can always give them a new beginning. Special thanks go to  our Directors, Mr. & Mrs. MATOVU for the life and opportunities they are giving to young people like me.